After my Crunch time post last week, a friend told me he couldn’t wait to read the follow-up. I never expected to write one, but dang it, he was right.
My dog ate my Mophie.
Just days after I called out my kid for not taking responsibility, today it became my turn. My mouthy puppy gnawed on my phone’s external battery pack, and to add insult to injury, he did it while sitting beside me. I assumed he had his bone–belatedly I realized he didn’t.
So was it the dog’s fault? Nope. It was all mine.
I should have been watching. I shouldn’t have assumed. I should take better care of my stuff. The blame lies on my shoulders.
There’s another lesson in this.
Stuff happens, and sometimes it happens fast. Sometimes it even happens right under our noses.
So while I still expect my kid to take responsibility for leaving his phone unattended–just like I’m owning up to letting my dog chew on my Mophie–I’m going to cut him some slack. He’s human; we all are.
And yeah, while you’re smirking and thinking that it always looks different when it happens to me, sometimes that’s the only way I learn the lesson.
Cut me some slack.
(Well, JD, you got your wish. Now stop laughing.)